Universities in Pakistan are playing a significant role in the overall progress of the country. Their significance lies not only in providing degrees, but also in producing quality human resources for various sectors of the economy. To achieve this goal, Quality Assurance Agency (QAA) has shaped some guidelines to appraise the quality of education in Pakistan, making it accessible and more relevant to the ever changing circumstances and global needs. GIKI is the first privately funded Institute of its kind in Pakistan, dedicated to bringing Engineering Education at par with the advanced countries. The Engineering programs of the Institute are accredited by the Pakistan Engineering Council (PEC) and implement internal quality benchmarks to enhance academic teaching and learning. The Institute is keen to strengthen its monitoring standards to remain comparable with the competitive international education and research standards. It follows strict guidelines to assess its quality of education, and the establishment of the Quality Enhancement Cell at GIKI (in accordance with Pakistan’s Higher Education Commission (HEC)’ Guidelines is another step in this direction.
The Quality Enhancement Cell (QEC) was established on 20 February 2008 at Rectors Secretariat in the H.U. Beg Administration Building of the Institute. This site provides information and guidance about the Cell and the Institute’s quality assurance procedures and processes of teaching, learning and assessment in line with the HEC Quality Assurance Manual The Cell is responsible for undertaking various assignments to create awareness, impart training and carry out various tasks for Quality Assurance in teaching and education. During Phase 1 of its inception, the QEC selected five programs of the Institute for a self assessment exercise to identify programmatic/institutional strengths and weaknesses and to take appropriate measures in this regard.
The QEC Committee has, so far, held 12 meetings in order to discuss and monitor quality parameters as per HEC manual.
1. One day Hands-on Workshop for Engineering Faculty on Design Course Teaching Engineering Students by Prof. Dr. Abul Fazal Arif and Dr. Mobeen Shoukat, KFUPM, KSA was conducted at GIK Institute, Topi, on April 06, 2017.
2. Pakistan Engineering Council (PEC), visitation team along with Washington Accord officials Mr. Basil Wakelin, Mr. Colin Peter Smith and Dr. Jung Soo Kim visited GIK Institute from 23rd to 26th November, 2016 for Accreditation visit of Mechanical Engineering and Electronic Engineering Programs according to PEC Accreditation Manual 2014 OBA guidelines.
3. Engr. Prof. Dr. Saeed ur Rahman SS-CARE (CASE Islamabad) convener PEC, along with the PEC delegation visited GIK Institute for the Accreditation of BS Electronic Engineering and BS Mechanical Engineering program according to (PEC Accreditation Manual 2014 OBA guidelines) on 12th November, 2016.
4. Quality Enhancement Cell Organizing a one day Workshop on Continous Professional Development Program (CPD) by DR. ARIF IQBAL RANA (LUMS) at GIK Institute on 22/6/2016.
5. Quality Awareness Seminar was conducted on 29th March, 2016 (11:45 – 12:45) by Dr. Zahid Halim at FCSE Conference Room. All Deans/Faculty Members and Program Teams attended the awareness seminar.
6. One day International Workshop on Outcome Based Education (OBE) by Prof. Dr. Abul Fazal Arif, KFUPM KSA. It was an advisory visit arranged by QEC team from January 13 - 15, 2016.
7. A training session on "OBE/OBA, SAR/SAP, have been arranged by QEC-GIKI for the Faculty members , Teaching Assistants, and Graduate Assistants for FCSE and MSH on 02 September, 2015
8. A training session on "OBE/OBA, SAR/SAP, have been arranged by QEC-GIKI for the Faculty members , Teaching Assistants, and Graduate Assistants for FEE and FES on 26 August, 2015
9. A training session on "OBE/OBA, SAR/SAP, have been arranged by QEC-GIKI for the Faculty members , Teaching Assistants, and Graduate Assistants for FMSE and FME on 25 August, 2015
10. A quality session with Deans and HoD MSH by Dr. Zahid Halim Coordinator QEC on OBE and PEC requirement was held on Tuesday, 18 August 2015 in office of the Pro-Rector (Academic).
11. QEC, GIKI participated in the Video Conference Seminar on "Developing a Systematic Internal Quality Assurance System" by Dr. Abdul Wahid Usmani, King Saud University, Riyadh. Which is to be held at HEC Regional Centre Karachi on 13 August, 2015.
12. Dr. Zahid Halim, Coordinator QEC gave presentation on Outcome Based Education at Computer Science and Electrical Engineering Departments at FAST-National University on 4th May, 2015.
13. Dr. Khalid Rehman, FME / Member ASC delivered 50 minutes talk at FES Conference Room on Outcome Based Education on 27th April, 2015
14. Prof. Dr. Fazal Ahmad Khalid conducted a seminar regarding the “Implementation of OBE system at GIKI” on 22nd Oct, 2014 at Main Lecture Hall, FMSE.
15. Professor Dr. Fazal Ahmad Khalid delivered a Seminar on “Adoption of Outcome Based Education and Assessment” at AHA Auditorium, GIK Institute on 28th November, 2014.
16. Prof. Azlan Abdul Aziz, Malaysian expert along with the PEC delegation visited GIK Institute for the implementation of Outcome Based Education system on 5th-6th December, 2014.
17. Prof. Dr. Fazal Ahmad Khalid, SI Pro Rector (A) conducted a seminar on Outcome Based Education (OBE) on 8th December, 2014 in AHA Auditorium.
The QEC Committee has, so far, held 11 meetings in order to discuss and monitor quality parameters as per HEC manual.
The QEC Committee has so far held 8 meetings in order to discuss and monitor quality parameters as per HEC manual.